Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Finally, I am living in the 21st century after years of avoiding it!
On this blog I hope to muse about knitting and sewing and find my creative muse.
As soon as I can get my hands on one of those new-fangled digital cameras, I'll include pics of creative work, past and present. Looking forward to being part of the online community of knitters whose blogs I have been admiring for months.

I am transfering all previous posts from another blog attempt because I couldn't figure out how to upload images using the other site!!! Here goes!

May 30th, 2007
The following is a list of my knitting goals for summer 2007, originally inspired by a recent contest posted on skeinsherway.com (http://www.skeinsherway.com/2007/05/pre-summer-contest.html):
  • One cotton sweater for my baby and
  • one for my stepson (who will only wear jackets that have zippers and hoods - even in the summer! )
  • One tunic - I am eying the Debbie Bliss "family tunic"
  • Finish my knitted flower necklace
  • I am also recently obsessed with unraveling sweaters from Goodwill (in order to save money and the planet), so I'll see what kinds of creative experiments surface there. The goal is to find and transform at least two sweaters.
  • I am sewing cool patches on a second hand cashmere sweater that has holes in the elbows. I'd like to finish that up too.
  • Finally, I am gathering cheap yarn to use for a knitting club that I will start in the fall at the middle school where I teach. If anyone wants to get rid of old yarn, send it my way - it will go for a good cause: teenagers will learn how to knit and will send their hats and scarves to Afghanistan.
  • One more thing - I want to find my copy of Poetry in Stitches - can't remember who I lent it to!!!
June 4th, 2007
Well today I am knitting a scarf that I work on when I need something easy and mindless to do. It is an all grey basketweave pattern.I added a small rectangle of pink just to mix it up a bit, and to try incorporating color.



I twisted the yarn, but still came up with small holes. So I am surfing in search of good intarsia instructions with pics.

I found a beautiful sweater at goodwill that is too small but the yarn is in good condition and is a wool/mohair mix. It is also a good neutral color, so if I want to dye it later, I can.


At first I thought it could be a sweater for baby Ahmad, but it is a little fuzzy and I don't want him to eat it! So maybe it will transform into a shawl. I am excited about the deconstruction process but want to take a picture of the sweater before I take it apart.

Tomorrow is my preschooler's graduation - he is going to big kid school next year! Maybe that's why I can't sleep:)



June 5th, 2007
Today my five year old graduated from preschool. I have always Pooh-pooed the idea of graduation ceremonies before high school, but today I was bawling my eyes out with the best of them. The highlight of the program was when the kids sang their welcome song. The boys competed to see who could shout the song loudest!
Of course we all had to bring something to eat, and the moms of this group are pretty amazing cooks: homemade baklava, real falafel, seven different kinds of samosas, you get the idea. My dish was simple but people liked it :)
All ingredients were from Trader Joe's. Someday I'll blog about the adventure of going to Trader Joe's with two screaming boys!

Fake Lasagna
2 packages organic penne
1 15oz container ricotta cheese
2 jars marinara sauce
2 cups tomato, roasted red pepper soup
2 cups shredded mozzarella (which I now buy in a bag because one can only do so much with a babe on the hip)
Boil pasta until almost al dente (the package said boil for 11 minutes, I cooked it for 8 because it cooks more in the oven)
Heat sauce and soup together in a pan; put some sauce in the bottom of a large casserole (13"x9").
Toss hot pasta with a little good olive oil and add half of it to the casserole dish.
Mix a little sauce into the ricotta to make it more spreadable (I also added some salt, pepper, and ground cumin). Spread ricotta over pasta. Cover with mozzarella. Then more pasta, sauce, mozzarella.
Then, into a 400 degree oven for 20-30 minutes. Let rest for 5-10 minutes. Yum! Since I was going to a potluck, I covered it with foil and a towel after I took it out of the oven. Four hours later it was still warm and yummy.

No comments: